Science Fair Project

I am very happy that I had an opportunity to perform a science fair experiment. When I was in elementary school, I never participated in science fairs but after doing one on my own, I really enjoyed it the experience and I learned so much. I was able to connect this simple project into a real world issue of global warming. this would be a great project house with younger students, so that they understand what is happening with our oceans. I really enjoyed doing this project through voicethread, it was a great way to virtually connect with our classmates. I also liked that we included a slide show of the section of the poster, doing this virtually allowed me to take my time reading each poster. I would definitely use this in my classroom for a virtual science fair, and maybe a book report project! It would be the same concept, just for language arts. This was a great tool and I am very excited to use this in the future. My classmates really gave me great feedback. For example, Nessiah asked me "Do you think the results would have been different if you used Kosher Salt instead of iodized salt?"This was a great question! I did some research, and according to David Hiskey (2013), iodized salt and Kosher salt are actually very different. The grain size and the shape are what make it different. I wasn't aware of that! but I think If I used either salt I would get the same results. Rebecca asked me "were you surprised that the freshwater and the saltwater froze differently?" and she also asked, "If you were to freeze sugar water do you think it would freeze more like the salt water or the freshwater?" well, Rebecca, to answer both of your questions, I was actually not surprised that the water froze differently. I know from chemistry class that I have taken in the past that water molecules link together to freeze, but when there is salt its harder for them to link together, so I had a feeling that it was going to freeze a little different. For the second question, I think the sugar water would freeze. The sugar would play a similar role as the salt, getting in the way of the water molecules linking together to freeze. That was a great question to ask! Alisha asked "Do you think the water would still freeze if you put more salt in it?" Well, I think if it was the same amount of water with more salt, it would freeze. The water and the amount of salt in their during the project is the equivalent to the amount in 2 cups of ocean water. it melted very fast with this amount, so I'm thinking it wouldn't freeze. I thought my group asked great questions to consider for future directions. When looking at their projects I really found them so interesting. Nessiah made a water filtration system, Rebecca wanted to find out what is the best way to keep apples from turning brown, and Alisha wanted to see what sugar drinks do to your teeth. I really liked all 3 of these, they were so different. Nessiah used sand and gravel to see if it could clean the water. this is a way for people around the world that don't have clean water to make it for themselves. Rebecca, however, wanted to find out what would make her apples not turn brown. this is great to know if you loge to cook, or just love eating apples! she found out that it was the lemon juice that worked the best. Alisha used different drinks to test what is bad for your teeth. it turns out it was the soda. she used eggs, because the she is made out of calcium and so are our teeth! Surprisingly, the orange juice made the egg all slimy. I had no idea that can be bad for your teeth, besides the acidity. My colleagues did such a great job with their projects, a lot of work was put into them!

resource: The Difference Between Kosher Salt and Table Salt. (2013, January 23). Retrieved December 13, 2017, from http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/01/difference-between-kosher-salt-and-regular-salt/



Comments