My First Ever Whole Class Teaching Experience

Overall, Fieldwork this semester at Bishop Dunn was a great experience that really showed you if you wanted to be a teacher or not. Personally, I loved the experience. At first, I was so nervous. We were in front of 23 4th graders AND our classmates! Not to mention this was my very first time teaching in front of a whole entire class. I am very happy how fieldwork was split into 2 days, and I am also very happy with the group I worked with. We were a great team! The first day of our lesson, direct instruction, didn't go how I wanted it to. Students were very confused about the note sheet and since we kept stopping, we ran out of time. I was so excited to play the jeopardy game with the kids and we didn't get through a lot of it. the second day was definitely better. the kids had to guess the planet that was in front of them that y group and I constructed. they had to use their knowledge and the clues given to make a decision. This worked very well with the class and they were so engaged. I appreciated the feedback that we received from our colleagues. We got a lot of the same feedback, stay telling us that we should have enforced the behavior management a little better. As much as I wanted our lesson to be perfect, it was my first time and I need to hear what we did wrong. It is only to help us in the end, and I am so thankful to have that. Now I know what to do next semester in Social Studies Methods when it is time to teach again. I plan to improve my instruction in future classes and in my future career, with the feedback I received.
   
Science Methods Group 4!


Comments